The term Social Media encompasses all applications and media operating in Internet and are used and managed by the user. The concept takes its name from the opposition to ” Mass Media “or Mass Media, such as television, newspapers or radio.
Strictly speaking, the Social Media are the logical extension of traditional means of communication, from email to phone. Internet, from its popularity among the general public, managed from the beginning to expand the number of transmitters and receivers in communication.
In parallel to the web 1.0 , there was still a universe of newsgroups, forums, chats and instant messaging services, they kept in touch with groups of people with common interests. Web 2.0 was that “talk” to the entire Internet, integrating everything into a large global network.
“Mass Media” vs. “Social Media”
Both Mass Media as the “Social Media” share the characteristic of being able to communicate a message to reach a very large number of people who will be affected in some way by him. However, there are some definite differences between the “Media”, which are gradually tilting the balance towards consumer social media:
- Vs unidirectionality. bidirectionality. The “Mass Media” emit a message that can not be answered by the user receiver, operating in one direction: the environment and the user hears speech. The ” Social Media “emit a message that can be answered on the spot, through comments, forums, text messages or even counter-messages.
- Democratization. The traditional power position of the “Mass Media” to output messages to the user front foot is balanced in the “Social Media”, where all users equal split. Anyone can broadcast a message to a potential audience of billions of people.
- Costs. Issuing messages “Mass Media” are affordable to only a few, the “Social Media” have developed the ability to broadcast messages to low or zero cost, especially with the proliferation of free tools that facilitate the issuance messages.
- Use and accessibility. Technical expertise to produce a message on the “Social Media” are low and available to everyone.
- Fast. Creating a message issued by the “Mass Media” process sometimes requires a long and complex in the “Social Media” messages are issued on the spot by users. A television campaign for a brand that has taken six months to build can be commented on by thousands of people to view the world just five minutes after the issuance of the first notice.
- Permanence. The message from the ” Mass Media “has a specific duration and finite everything that is published in the” Social Media “marking, can be consulted again and again, the files are always accessible. A message issued five years ago can recover their validity today.
- Confidence. It is an indisputable fact that proximity increases confidence. The “Mass Media” appear as distant figures of the consumer in the “Social Media” reports always come from someone you trust, even a carved confidence in themselves ” Social Media “.